Wednesday, January 25, 2006

So Far, So Good

The new, more expensive video card is in, and so far, working okay. Let's hope that it remains working, unlike the last card which crapped out after just a few hours of use. Of course, I put more into this one, such as a brand new power supply and an extra fan, just in case. All in all, the performance is adequate. I'm not sure it is really better than the last card performance wise, but as long as it continues to work, I think it will be okay. Besides, I'm tired of fooling with the damn thing, and this one would have to literally melt (knocking on wood) for me to send it back. Of course, it is hard to judge video performance unless you're an uber-techie that can test those kind of things. I'm just eyeballing it and I'm not sure if it is outperforming the failed card from last week. But maybe I'm just over romanticizing that card's performance because it was such a huge leap forward over what I had previously.

6 comments:

Degolar said...

Glad it's at least working for you. Expecting to hear complaints soon about lack of sleep from gaming all night. :-)

scott said...

Good to know that you've got it working. If you're interested, Tom's Hardware has info about benchmarking.. And the latest benchmark tests for decent cards.

asdfasdfadfasd said...

This one was slightly faster than the other one, so it should look a little better. Also, you don't have very much RAM, so that would be your next step. For the games you play I recommend at least 1.5 gigs.

Did it come with everything in the box?

Hadrian said...

It did come with everything in the box, except it wasn't the original box. Also, I was surprised at how huge the card was. This thing is enormous. I know this one should look better than the x800, but it seems a little jerkier-- I don't think that would be a RAM problem, since I have the same RAM I was using for the other card. (Although more RAM will be the next upgrade-- probably not in the near future though, I've pretty much blown my computer budget for a while).

asdfasdfadfasd said...

It seems odd that it would be jerkier, everything on the new card is faster than the other one. I assume you have the newest drivers and everything.

Did the manufacturer information on the card match what it said on newegg?

Hadrian said...

I didn't look really close, but it was a 6800GS, I don't know about the fine print. Like I was saying though, maybe it's my perception. Also, last night there may have been a driver issue, although I had installed the NVidia drivers, the ATI Catalyst control center was still installed as well. I've uninstalled that, so when I fire it up tonight, we'll see if that makes a difference. (Now I just need to figure out how to stuff all of those damn wires from the new power supply baack into the case.)