Sunday, January 15, 2006

Back To It... With A Twist.

After a lengthy hiatus, due mainly to the holidays, our D&D group finally got back to our campaign last night. Personally, I had a hell of a time. We didn't engage in any combat, but did a lot of role-playing and strategizing. Our group is not a strictly hack and slash one, so an evening spent without a single combat encounter is not that big of a deal (not that we want to do without it completely, after all, it is an adventure game...). Anyway, it was good to be back to it, and it was a lot of fun. The DM presented us with custom-made maps of the city of Verbobonc which were muy cool, and a huge twist in the game.

Namely, a side quest... with different characters. He wasn't sure how we would take it, but it was well received. I for one, got a big grin on my face when it dawned on me exactly what he was planning. I thought it was a very cool and innovative idea that will provide a nice refreshing break from the main narrative of the game. I still very much like the characters we've created in our main campaign, and the incredibly in-depth storylines, interactions, and characterizations that have developed over the course of two years of gaming, but it has been two years with the same characters and the chance to develop new ones is going to be fun for a change. So, kudos to the DM and Mrs. DM (aka Mia the Dragonslayer) for the idea.

I've already got a character well in the works since I couldn't sleep once I got home (thanks to the copious amounts of caffeine consumed during the game) and was up until almost five in the a.m. I'm pretty excited about this new character whom I've already created with, what I think of as at least, a kick-ass backstory, very different from my current and future character. (Okay, just how awkward was that last sentence?) So, I look forward to seeing the new characters and how they differ from the ones everyone is playing at the moment.

And the big bonus is I've already got a miniature that is perfect for this new character-- and I might even have it painted before the next game!

4 comments:

Kelly Sime said...

Fun, fun! I'm glad you're excited about the new adventure. It was fun to hang out with the old group again. I hope I didn't pose too much of a distraction. I do believe I've gotten my fill of sex jokes too. Thanks!

asdfasdfadfasd said...

I of course was also up until 5 last night, but it sounds like you had much more fun than I did (oh insomnia). At least today I made some progress on my Warhammer table, and it looks like I may actually sleep before 3:00 today (fingers crossed of course). Congrat's on your D&D game, it sound's like you have an awesome DM.

Degolar said...

Yes, I am very much looking forward to it.

Leelu said...

I think everybody loved the idea--and it's good that it seems we're all going with wildly different character types, so that'll be fun, too.