Wednesday, January 25, 2006

Now That's a Bit Cynical

From chapter 16 of Moby Dick:

" . . . and very probably he had long since come to the sage and sensible conclusion that a man's religion is one thing, and this practical world quite another. This world pays dividends."

I'm sorry, but if your religion has nothing to do with "this practical world," it's not worth believing in.

On an unrelated note, I also like this bit of description that Captain Peleg gives about Captain Ahab:

"I know what he is--a good man--not a pious, good man, like Bildad, but a swearing good man--something like me--only there's a good deal more of him."

Or perhaps it is related. Maybe in order to have a relevant religion you have to be more of a swearing good man than a pious one.

Technorati tag:

4 comments:

asdfasdfadfasd said...

That first one is a great line. Although it's hard to get the full meaning out of context, it's still great by itself.

Hadrian said...

Okay, if you keep putting up these quotes, I'm gonna have to start reading the damn thing again. So STOP IT!! ;) I think this is all a plot hatched by you, or Erica, to bring down everyone's reading challenge numbers. How am I supposed to plow through thousands of pages of YA if I'm reading Moby Dick? How?!?!

Degolar said...

The plot was hatched by Erica, and I'm only able to juggle both by listening to MD during my commute and doing the challenge for my "real" reading.

Context for the quote: He's describing Bildad as an extremely pious Quaker and pacifist and wonders how that reconciles with making a living off of killing whales.

Degolar said...

Oh, and Mr. Scott has proposed a course for us for after the reading challenge, so come aboard if interested.