Sunday, January 29, 2006

Moby Bone

A while back I did the all-about-me thing for one of my posts and mentioned that I was reading both Bone and Moby Dick. I was actually just finishing up the Bone saga that I started a while back and then forgot to watch for the final book (#9). To refresh myself I read the last three. It's an excellent story by Jeff Smith. The main protagonist is Fone Bone, along with his cousins Phoney and Smiley. They provide a modern perspective and comic relief, but don't pre-judge the whole thing on their appearance as I did before reading it. The three get run out of Boneville (which we never see) and stumble into a fantasy epic in a hidden valley. The rest of the characters aren't so odd and the whole thing is a brilliant mix of serious and comic. I highly recommend it (plus it's YA and qualifies for the reading challenge and reads fast since it's 9 graphic novels).

Aside from that, I wanted to mention a recurring motif. Fone Bone's favorite book is Moby Dick. He's constantly trying to share it with his friends and colleagues (who inevitably fall asleep) and it keeps showing up in his dreams and hallucinations. Here is an example. They read well together.

Technorati tag?

1 comment:

Erica said...

Ok...I totally love this! Hmm..."He's constantly trying to share it with his friends and colleagues (who inevitably fall asleep) and it keeps showing up in his dreams and hallucinations." How true...how true...