Sunday, January 22, 2006

1 Disc Down, Only 19 to Go

OK, so I haven't spent a huge amount of time listening to Moby Dick yet, but I'm getting there. I'm far enough along now that I'm hooked and want to keep going. And just so you don't find me completely uncharitable toward Ishmael and his musings, I found these two thoughts from “Breakfast” (chapter 5) especially agreeable:

"However, a good laugh is a mighty good thing, and rather too scarce a good thing; the more’s the pity. So, if any one man, in his own proper person, afford stuff for a good joke to anybody, let him not be backward, but let him cheerfully allow himself to spend and be spent in that way. And the man that has anything bountifully laughable about him, be sure there is more in that man than you perhaps think for."

and

"They say that men who have seen the world, thereby become quite at ease in manner, quite self-possessed in company."

I think the second thought is a particularly true observation, considering that I'm an introvert and envious of those who are at ease and self-possessed in company.

Technorati tag:

1 comment:

Degolar said...

Oh, yeah, I remember reading that. Cool.