Wednesday, January 25, 2006

Seeing the World

I know my first reaction to Moby Dick was a bit uncharitable toward Ishmael, so let me just say that I have come to enjoy his narration quite a bit and am very into the book at this point (chapter 16). That said, something from that chapter struck me as insightful as I listened to it this morning.

"Good again. Now then, though not only wantest to go a-whaling, to find out by experience what whaling is, but ye also want to go in order to see the world? Was not that what ye said? I thought so. Well then, just step forward there, and take a peep over the weather-bow, and then back to me and tell me what ye see there."

Going forward and glancing over the weather bow, I perceived that the ship swinging to her anchor with the flood-tide, was not obliquely pointing towards the open ocean. The prospect was unlimited, but exceedingly monotonous and forbidding; not the slightest variety that I could see.

"Well, what's the report?" said Peleg when I came back; "what did ye see?"

"Not much," I replied--"nothing but water; considerable horizon though, and there's a squall coming up, I think."

"Well, what dost thou think then of seeing the world? Do ye wish to go round Cape Horn to see any more of it, eh? Can't ye see the world where you stand?"
Now I've traveled a little bit and thoroughly enjoy adventures and seeing new things, but the captain makes a good point. If you think that you will find answers by looking for them elsewhere, you are sure to be disappointed. You must find them in yourself, not in any particular place.

Technorati tag:

No comments: