Tuesday, January 24, 2006

Exercise = Self-Absorbed?

In response to my post about Exercise Addiction (and the weight loss comment I added), Kelly said: "Too many people worry about their weight, the way they look, how much excercise they get, what they're eating, etc. How about worrying about your self esteem? Or world peace? Or something that really matters?"

I'm not going to say that vanity doesn't play a part in my motivation to exercise and lose weight ("Come on, one more mile; don't you want to have the kind of body that girls notice and guys envy?"). But that's mainly because it is a worry about self-esteem. At the level of addiction it becomes such a part of your identity ("I'm not just some guy who runs, I am a runner") that you beat yourself up for any failure to live up to the unrealistically high expectations of that identity ("It doesn't matter how sick I am, I can't take today off or I'm a loser"). That idea still plays a role for a more casual exerciser. So, in some ways, my self esteem is tied to exercise and my weight. But that's just one small part of the equation of why I do what I do and why it's on my mind enough that I'm writing about it.

Much more important is the fact that I enjoy moving my body (i.e. exercising). Even at my heaviest I hiked with the dogs and did other active things because it's one of the things I like doing with my time. It feels good to work your muscles at the end of the day; instead of holding in the stress and frustration you work it out. Pushing yourself hard, like lifting weights or doing an interval workout, is a great way to get out anger, while a long, steady endurance workout is a great way to unwind. It becomes almost meditative. In fact, my favorite alone-time, when I do my best thinking, is during a good run (it's also good for pre-writing blog posts). A runner's high is awesome. And it sucks to get there, but it feels great to be in shape. Not only do you feel good about yourself, but you feel fit and strong and capable. My dad is a cross country & track coach and I grew up running with him, so it's always been a favorite exercise. I also grew up in the water--could swim before I could walk, in fact--and did swim team through high school. And while I didn't compete, growing up in small towns allowed me to live on my bike as my main form of transportation. So, yeah, I know it can become an unhealthy obsession if I let it, but triathloning is a natural fit for me because I enjoy all three activities. It's something I do for fun, and I almost always look forward to my workout each day.

But no matter how fit you are, being heavier than you should limits how good you can feel. Carrying 230 pounds 5 miles is harder than 175 pounds, and I feel it in my aches and pains after. There's more gray area here because vanity is tied up in any thought about weight loss, but my #1 motivation for working hard right now is weight for health reasons. I'm at an age where my metabolism is slowing down and the aches and pains can start to mount. The longer I keep on the extra weight, the harder it will be to get rid of and the more it will effect my long-term health. I'm not looking to be superhuman, I just don't want to be limited by my body breaking down any earlier than I have to.

So that's why I work out. I guess it is a little self-absorbed. If I took all those hours I spend exercising and volunteered somewhere, maybe I could do more about world peace and things that "really matter." If I really wanted to live what I believe, in fact, I would be living and working in an impoverished area or disadvantaged country spending all of my time helping those who have not been as lucky in life as I have. But I'm not. Instead I choose to live my life somewhat selfishly, and triathlons are something I do for myself instead of helping others. I don't quite know what all of that means, but that's where I am right now.

7 comments:

asdfasdfadfasd said...

That doesn't sound very self absorbed to me. And what's wrong with worrying about weight? Being healthy isn't a bad thing. A bad addiction would be to take up smoking to help you lose weight, or doing coke to give yourself more energy.

I don't like the phrase "doing something that really matters", it's alway's used in a way that implies no one should ever do anything for themselves. If (for some reason) you like to compete in triathalons there's nothing wrong with doing them simply for the fact that you enjoy the activity.

Erica said...

I agree--there is nothing better than physical exercise to decrease stress and to feel better about yourself. And there's nothing selfish about that. This will sound completely trite, but if you can't take care of yourself, what's the point in trying to care for anyone/thing else? I've whined to many about the 20 lbs I've gained in 2 years working at the library, but it's totally my own fault. I feel too busy; I don't make time to exercise; my stress increases; I feel too busy; I don't make time to exercise; repeat, repeat. Few things feel as good as physical exercise. I know some people exercise because they feel they have to, and they'll say that exercise itself doesn't feel good. I have to think that they're doing it wrong. It feels fantastic, and in the end I am always in a better mood after I exercise. Our minds and bodies are forever linked.

Kelly Sime said...

Sheesh. I wasn't directing my comment towards you, Chris.

Guess I better be careful about how I comment from now on.

Degolar said...

Not at all. I didn't take it personally or feel insulted, and hope I didn't come across as defensive. But I think you raise a valid point, as you do with your Vogue frustrations. I heard a statistic once--and I know I don't have the numbers right here, but I do the proportion--that it would take something like $2 billion a year to distribute the food that's produced in the world so that no one would go hungry while $8 billion is spent every year on diet products. We are obsessed with weight and image while living in a time and place of luxury that contributes to our obesity. I know I'm influenced by that culture and your thought cause me to do a little self-reflection. It's not a bad thing.

Degolar said...

It’s also my experience that people only get defensive about things that strike a cord because they are already weighing on the person’s conscience. No need to watch what you say if you are only having an insight into the truth.

scott said...

I'd agree with you there, Chris. The 'people only get defensive about things that strike a cord because they are already weighing on the person’s conscience' thought. I know that I do that..

Degolar said...

chord