Monday, December 05, 2005

Staying Awake

Well this is exciting. I didn’t try to join “blogger alley” where all the celebrity bloggers are reporting on the proceedings, but I found a power outlet near our seats during the break and am now online during the symposium. I suppose I must admit my true motive is entertaining myself since I don’t sit still and listen for long periods of time very well, but I’m going to try to take notes and write about the content instead of just surfing or playing games (although I suppose playing games would be topical). During the opening speaker Sarah and I were passing notes back and forth about how much this reminds me of library school. All of my classes were weekend intensives (6-9 Fri night, 8-5 Sat, 8-12 Sun), sitting all day listening to lectures about library theory and such. No matter how interesting the subject, it’s hard to stay tuned in. The next two days will be similar.

Right now we are listening to Steve Jones talk about a study he did a few years ago about gaming habits among college students. Les Gasser, the first speaker, made an analogy I like. He said what many in libraries see as the potential for games is like a venus flytrap. We’ll use the games to lure the young into the building so we can close the book trap around them; we find a way for games to maintain the “symbolic status quo” of the library mission of developing literacy. It’s a safe way to understand the idea of gaming in libraries. Paired with this was a reminder of the conflict that’s always existed in libraries between high and low culture, and there’s always been resistance to incorporating the “low” cultural forms: fiction, paperbacks, picture books, A/V and media, toys, Internet, and now console games. But just as each of those other forms has become accepted and we now appreciate the value they bring to what we do/offer, video games are likely to do the same. As anyone youngish will tell you, games are fairly ubiquitous now and they reflect the emerging culture and are a big part of social life. This is only a recent topic, but many academic types are now studying and beginning to understand the learning value of video games; and not just the “learning” games, but the skills required to succeed in almost all of them (critical thinking, problem solving, etc). Most tell stories and have a narrative mythology, are a type of literature. We can do a lot more than use games as bait to get at the true learning, but can learn from them in the way we conduct our business and stay relevant in a changing world.

Other thoughts: last night many who were staying at the hotel gathered in the bar to meet, etc. I learned from Atabong and some new people about World of Warcraft, which they pay $15 per month to play. It’s an online fantasy RPG. I described what appeals to me about playing paper-and-book D&D so we could compare notes. Beth Gallaway is a former D&Der who claims the online game compares favorably. You do all the same kinds of things, build characters, role-play, etc. Because it’s online it has that same type of interactivity, but with many more people. Atabong said he and his guild have been using voice-over-IP for years to coordinate their gaming. I’m afraid to investigate because I don’t have the time to get hooked, but I must say I’m certainly intrigued.

I haven’t had a chance to reread it since it just arrived Saturday from Amazon after being backordered, but I now have both books I ordered for myself as a birthday present. Watchmen by Alan Moore. Probably the best graphic novel I’ve ever read. Wolves in the Walls by Neil Gaiman and Dave McKean came right away. This might not seem like a big deal, but since I started working at libraries I almost never buy books. I still have boxes full in the basement from my previous life, but now I just check stuff out for the most part. So to actually buy myself a couple of books is a treat. I’m looking forward to reading Watchmen again, but may have to wait a while before I get to it.

I guess I am in that grey area, age-wise. I’m young enough that I grew up with video games and I basically “get it,” but I just don’t really get into it. They have 7 or 8 TVs set up in back with consoles and people were playing a Mario driving game or something over the break. It held no appeal for me, because every time I’ve played games much in the past I get bored with it rather quickly. Watching others is torturously boring. There’s just enough hook for me that I can get short-term obsessed over the challenge of a game, but it’s never lasted more than an hour or two. So while I can get excited for others who are made happy by gaming, I don’t feel any desire for myself.

1 comment:

Leelu said...

I prefer console RPGs, myself. Mario Kart and the like are just annoying.