Monday, December 05, 2005

I'm Ready For My Cyanide Pill

Between the 2004 presidential election, the large segment of the American public that cannot distinguish Al Qaeda from Iraqi Ba'athists, and the continuing unexplainable popularity of Fear Factor, I thought I needed no further evidence of the irredeemable stupidity of the American people. Then, via Jesus' General and ABC news, I am presented with this. Read it, watch the video, bang your head against a table. I cannot even begin to fathom the depth of stupidity that is displayed by this incident.

However, the stupidity is not the scariest thing about it. The really scary quality that is revealed is the unquestioning deference to authority, the blind obedience to orders to systematically rob another human being of their last shred of dignity. People wonder how Abu Ghraib happened. People wonder how the Holocaust happened. I am aghast.

2 comments:

scott said...

Wow. I could make sarcastic responses, but thats really not funny. How could this even happen?

Leelu said...

That's positively horrifying. That girl's manager--at the first of a line of people--needs to be shot, if only point-blank with a paintball.