Monday, November 28, 2005

What to Read?

I think I have a problem: more books to read than I have time. I always have a pile of 10-20 youth books sitting on my desk, things that have been recommended or reviewed well or looked interesting when they came in as new or such. I generally get to them in the order they come due, using maximum renewals and trying not to let any be more than a week overdue by the time I finish. It's often a race against time, though. I have the usual pile right now.

I also recently got the list of titles for the area's Mock Printz in mid January, put them on hold last week, and now have a separate stack of 8-10 titles to get to. If you don't know, the Printz Medal is awarded by the ALA each year to the best book written for young adults. At the Mock Printz, YA librarians get together and go through the same process as the real Printz committee, picking what we think is the best so we can compare our results to the real ones. The hosting librarian narrowed it down to a list of ten for us (the real committee tries to read everything published for young adults during the entire year), but I haven't read any of them yet.

On top of all that, I also have two adult books to read right now. I don't get to very many because the job requires I keep up with youth books, but every so often I'll place a hold on something that really looks interesting. Is Bill Cosby Right? landed in my stack a couple of weeks ago and I'm sure there's a waiting list that will keep me from renewing. And then there's the really exciting one, A Feast for Crows, by George R. R. Martin. It's the fourth book in a series I've been reading as it gets published and I've had a hold on this one since 2/17/2004--the publication date kept getting pushed back--but it's finally on the hold shelf for me. I know I won't be able to read everything before it comes due. What to do, what to do?

3 comments:

Kelly Sime said...

I now know there are others out there like me. Too many books, too little time. I sometimes want to read the book so much that I'll return it, then re-request it so I can get it again. I've done that three times with Harry Potter #6!

Hadrian said...

I was just wondering if you knew that there was a d20 rpg based upon that series of books. Might be interesting. So I'm guessing you'd recommend the series?

Degolar said...

You're talking about Martin's A Song of Ice and Fire? Yes, I would recommend them. It's one of those epic stories with tons of characters, with each book following the perspective of 5-10 different characters from among the different factions in the alternating chapters. There's a lot to keep track of. But these are different than most in that you can't really get too attached to any character or even know who to root for, since main protagonists keep losing wars and even dying. It's all really well done; he keeps throwing surprises at you and the characters keep growing. I have no idea where the story is ultimately going.