Monday, November 14, 2005

A Quote for Hadrian

I'm reading a young adult book called You & You & You, by Per Nilsson, and I came across a pasage that made me think of Hadrian. When I showed it to him he laughed heartily and agreed fully, so I thought I should share (take note, expectant parents):

Children are disgusting.

And the more of them there are, the more disgusting it is. Children are always disgusting and snotty and sticky and messy, but it's worst when they eat. And when they pee and poop. Children aren't just disgusting; children are self-centered, ungrateful, naughty, spoiled, and egotistical too.

Compassion--what's that?

Helpfulness and Cooperation--what's that?

Sharing and Being Considerate--what's that?

Kids don't understand stuff like that. Kids aren't really people. Kids are small, clumsy, helpless, silly animals. They're not really people yet.

(p. 37)

2 comments:

Leelu said...

Y'know what sucks? I heartily agree.

Kelly Sime said...

Yes, but they can be smart beyond their years.