Wednesday, August 24, 2005

Release Me from Thy Grip, Foul Book!

Finally finished. When I went on vacation a couple of weeks ago I decided to take a break from the constant flow of kids books I read for work and find a book for myself. I found a recent fantasy novel that looked appealing, The Darkness That Comes Before (The Prince of Nothing, Book 1), By R. Scott Bakker. It was very enjoyable, but a dense 600 pages and not light reading. Of course I was hooked, and as soon as I finished I went on to book 2. So for the last couple of weeks I've been staying up late, skipping my morning newspaper, getting behind on Entertainment Weekly, and finding other ways to get in extra reading. I finally finished last night and (thankfully) will have to wait for book 3 to get published before moving on again. That said, it's an excellent read, and the entire purpose of this post is to recommend it.

Speaking of which, a couple of other recent series which I'm in the middle of and would recommend are: The Briar King (The Kingdoms of Thorn and Bone, Book 1), by Greg Keyes; and A Game of Thrones (A Song of Fire and Ice, Book 1), by George R. R. Martin. A finished but excellent sci-fi read is City of Golden Shadow (Otherland, Book 1), by Tad Williams. And it's older, but I think my all-time favorite fantasy series is The Black Company: The First Novel of the Black Company (Chronicles of the Black Company), by Glen Cook.

2 comments:

Leelu said...

I prefer Glen Cook's Garrett, P. I. books to his Black Company (except for the past few).

You might look into Patricia McKillip, since you've studiously avoided my recommendation of Terry Pratchett in the past. ;)

Degolar said...

I've read The Wee Free Men and Small Gods now and enjoyed them both. It just takes a while for things to get to the top of my to-read pile.