Thursday, August 11, 2005

The Joys of Customer Service

Today, for the second time this summer, I got a bleeder. That is, a person entered my place of employment with some sort of open wound and proceeded to bleed on the counter. This might not seem out of place at, oh I don't know, say... an emergency room? , but the public library? Bizarre. Twice in one summer. And for the life of me, I can't figure out the etiquette demanded of this situation. Does one point it out? "Excuse me sir, you seem to be..." The tactic I've taken in both instances is to simply pretend it isn't happening. If he's not going to acknowledge it then neither am I. I'll just wait until he leaves and break out the industrial strength disinfectants. I do not get paid enough to deal with that sort of thing.

I find it comforting in these situations to reflect on the lessons we might learn from one of the great minds in the history of customer service. Never forget to ask yourself "What would Basil do?"

1 comment:

Leelu said...

Maybe for the same reason they ask questions like, "Where are your books on dieting?" when all they really want is a copy of The South Beach Diet: to piss us off. It's a theory.