Friday, August 19, 2005

Keeping it Real

In the interests of keeping anonymous spam posts out of the comments, I'm thinking of changing the setting so that only registered users can post comments. However, I would hate to add another annoying step for our friends (and well intentioned strangers) to go through to post. Let me know what you think. The decision is not yet made.

UPDATE: While I was posting this we got spammed again! If you know someone that buys shit from spammers or telemarketers, beat them-- they're the reason the rest of us have to put up with this shit.

6 comments:

Hadrian said...

Well, fuck me gently with a chainsaw, I think the decision has been made.

Hadrian said...

Oh for Christ's sake, is there nothing to do about this. Who will rid me of these troublesome spammers?

After this, I'm going to use my admin privileges to delete all spam comments.

Hadrian said...

I know it's a pain in the ass, but over the last ten minutes the necessity of it has become all too painfully clear to me, so, from now on word verification will be required on all comments. However, I think I will turn off the registered Blogger user requirement.

jipzeecab said...

You don't necessarily have to turn off your anonymous commenting and as you can see above some of these "spamming bots" are registered with blogspot. Someone suggested to me that the bots never go below the top post. If this is true you can put a "buffer" post on top as I and others have done to keep the spamming off your real posts. My last three spammers hit the buffer post and I deleted them as soon as I saw them.

Degolar said...

As long as they're limited to just the comment section, I can live with the spammers. I'd rather leave things open for real comments with as few obstacles as possible.

Leelu said...

Word verification works for me. It's not difficult, but it keeps casual spam to a minimum.