Friday, September 16, 2005

Self Reflection

So, lately I've been doing a bit of thinking about my life so far and I realized that I have been looking at it all wrong. When I look back at my life, it used to be pretty much a long list of pointless or temporary jobs, an education I will probably never get to use, a bunch of apartments but no actual home, and basically I always thought, "Well, it can only get better. Only way to go is up."
But this last time I looked back and decided to look at things another way. Put all my professional ambition aside and look at what is really important. I mean, I always say that money doesn't mean that much to me and that I don't have to please everyone, just please myself (thank you Rick Nelson), and my motto has always been, don't make sense, make change. Well, I realized that I wasn't looking at my life and accomplishments in that light. So I decided to take stock.
First off, I have had a pretty good life so far. Growing up, I was never in need of anything. My family was always (and still is) there during the hard times and I got through them all with a relative good outcome.
Then I was lucky enough to have the most wonderful thing come into my life: Rachel. She has always been there, good times and bad and in-between. No matter what happened or where life turned us, she was there at my side and I was a better man for having her there with me. No matter what my dreams, wants, or wishes, she was always there to support, give, or grant whatever I needed at the time. Sure it is a give and take thing, but what isn't?
I also have some really great friends right now. Some are pretty normal, some are just plain crazy (like me), and some are a mix of the two. Stark raving sane. But I couldn't ask for better. Every one of them mean so very much to me in their own way and it is a pleasure to know each of them and be part of their lives.
And now looking at my life and what is coming in the future, I feel pretty damn lucky to have gotten everything I have in life and probably wouldn't have it any other way... except maybe that I could win the lottery some time in there. Oh, and a dog. I really want a dog.

3 comments:

Hadrian said...

You, quite simply, da man.

Kelly Sime said...

Wow. David, that's pretty cool.

Leelu said...

Thanks, baby. :)